View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Localizer uses wrong codepage to encode Dari and Pashto 

Post Localizer uses wrong codepage to encode Dari and Pashto
When creating Dari and Pashto localized resource DLLs for an MFC app that must use MBCS, Localizer generates hundreds of errors that state "Can't convert string to output encoding:[...]." I have dug as far into the problem as I can without seeing the source code and based on the available project settings, I believe that Localizer is using the wrong windows codepage to encode the strings. From what I see in the project properties Localizer is using codepage 1252 (Latin I) to encode Dari and Pashto when according to MSDN the correct codepage is 1256 (Arabic). Excerpt from MSDN related to Office products:
.....Code pages:
.....Microsoft Office programs support the following code pages that are available to Arabic, Hebrew, and mixed-text users:

.....Arabic
.....Each code page is identified by a unique code page number. The code page (CP) for Arabic is CP 1256.
.....UTF-8, ISO 8859-6, DOS-720, ASMO-708
.....Dari, Pashto, Persian, Uighur, and Urdu use the same code pages as Arabic.

Regardless of whether the codepage used is correct or wrong, this is a bug in Lingobit Localizer as most of the strings do encode correctly. I am developing on a Windows 7 Professional machine and have installed the Dari LIP (Pashto is supported by default). I can create accounts and run my machine in both Dari and Pashto languages so I know I have everything necessary to support both languages. Furthermore, we have thousands of strings in our app and only a small percent fail.

I have sent many emails and have not received an answer; likewise my forum post. This is by far the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

Wed May 08, 2013 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]